etsy.com, I came across string art, and the RambleandRoost etsy shop. The owner has a ton of string art pieces, and one that struck me was a world map. I decided to try my hand at making my own version.
2' by 4' (purchased pre-cut at home depot)
world map (purchased on amazon.com)
1 can minwax polyshades in mission oak satin (purchased from home depot)
braces (for hanging)
1.Set out 2' by 4' piece of wood
2. Stain the piece of wood, front and back and let dry overnight
3. Place map directly in the center of the wood
4. Hammer in nails around the edges of land
5. Tie string around one nail and start winding string around nails. See string art tutorial here
6. As you finish each land mass, cut away the map underneath
7. Using a power drill, drill screws through braces into the back of the wood; next drill screws into the wall... then hang!