Monday, September 16, 2013

How to: Draft a 1/2 Circle Skirt Pattern



I've been dying to make myself a circle skirt lately, I love the relaxed flowy look, and think it would be a perfect addition to my fall wardrobe.  There's only one minor thing that's standing in my way of sewing the actual skirt..... the pattern...I don't have one, but surely I can figure out how to draft one myself. 

Here's how it all went down:
First I gathered my materials:
Craft paper
measuring tape
pen
scrap paper and calculator
 
Calculate the radius of your waist.  This is achieved with the following formula:

radius= waist/3.14/2
**when sewing with knits you'll have to subtract 3'' from your waist before plugging the waist number into the above formula.  Use the below formula for knits only.
radius(for knits)= (waist-3)/3.14/2


In the below formula 2r-.5'', r= radius; note 18'' below represents how long your skirt will be minus 1 inch (the extra inch is accounting for the hem), if you'd like your skirt shorter or longer, adjust this number.


 
Lines A to B, and A to D should be the same length, each line =2(radius)-.5''
Lines B to C and D to E each measure 18''
 
 
 
 
Cut out the waistband and skirt pattern pieces and now you're ready to create your skirt!

Check back tomorrow for a picture tutorial of my version!


1 comment: