Saturday, July 14, 2012

DIY Cobra Bracelet


After stumbling upon this awesome etsy bracelet shop, I decided I had to have one for myself.

I had such great memories of making cobra bracelets in girl scouts, I thought, what fun would it be to purchase a bracelet when it looked feasible enough to make on my own.


First I had to gather the materials, I picked up a valuepack of craftlace at walmart (around $10); next I needed the right chain, I purchased this at toho shoji in midtown manhattan (note: this is sold by the foot, but it's close to impossible to cut the chain yourself, so ask the sales clerk to cut off exactly how many links you need)


Once I had all materials collected, I enlisted help from my sister, and the two of us brushed up on the cobra pattern using this youtube tutorial.
After some trial and error we felt confidant we were ready to incorporate the chain

For our bracelets we used 6 links of chain, to begin we strung 2 long pieces of lanyard into the first chain, and then cobra stitched (using the youtube tutorial) until the bracelet was long enough for our wrists.




Once the bracelet was long enough we tied a knot at the end


Finally, we cut off excess lanyard, and melted the knot slightly using a flame.

Finito!



1 comment: